“My present work reflects an ongoing exploration of the complexities of the human figure caught within a dramatic moment in time. The psychological portrayals of figures placed in totally ambiguous situations lift my compositions and sculptural images to a higher level of emotional engagement. My goal is to push each work to the edge so that I, as an artist, will continue to search, investigate and discover new untapped creative energies and visual directions. I strive to involve the viewer, attempting to challenge, confront and engage. I am aware that my compositions are at times bold and confronting. At the end of the day, if an individual walks away from my work with a sense of its understanding, dislike or appreciation, if they are confused or perplexed by it, then I as the painter would honestly feel I have achieved my objectives”.
Neil Wyatt, Artist
Neil F Wyatt is now based in South West France to further pursue his art career.
CRITIQUE AND REVIEW STATEMENTS;
"Hidden within the narrow passageways of a medieval French village I sneak a peek at a formidable exhibition - before it opens to the public. This collection of retrospective works by Neil F Wyatt showcases humanity’s search for something bigger and more meaningful than itself, transcending centuries, mythologies and cultures. Technically brilliant, Neil’s works are…epic..... A practicing artist of over 30 years, Wyatt executed this collection of works using a combination of oil and acrylic paints. These large-scale paintings dominate the gallery walls, commanding your attention and your immersion. The stone figures depicted are juxtaposed against blazing skies. They seem bound to earth by the sheer mass of their carved stone bodies despite their assumed yearning for weightlessness and freedom – they seem to desperately crave the infinite and glorious sky they gaze into.
These dramatic figures are drawn from ancient myth, Roman history, and classic European sculpture. Many of the source sculptures can be found within the Greek and Roman Antiquities collections at the Musee de Louvre, Paris, where Wyatt gleans much inspiration. These works do well to remind me that the ancient past is indeed very close to the present, whereby an individuals’ pressures, vulnerabilities and dreams are common experiences across humanity, no matter the century.
Wyatt’s work can be dramatic with cinematic inflections, also playful and whimsical, yet they are always technically correct and fastidious. He works across various mediums to accentuate a particular sensibility of a composition. For example, the large dramatic pieces above use layers of fine oil paint to create depth and magnitude. Whilst other smaller playful compositions are achieved through pencil, felt tip pen, and collage. No matter how they are executed there is a rigor to his work – in the composition, the palette selection, the technical planning, sketching and drafting, and this is all visible in the finished works.
Steeped in social and art history Wyatt’s works are contemporary expressions of the human condition from a masculine perspective. Although not available to attend the upcoming exhibition opening December 2019, I’m looking forward to a sneak peek at the next chapter
of his work...." www.beyondtheopening.com
"I have to say, there is something deeply intense and critical in personal sensibilities and modalities of your beautiful paintings and expressions. Your paintings muse and fuse the classical and the modern, the flat and the defined-it is personal biography meets movement, passion and a very physiological presence. Exhibiting an impeccable instinct for the emotionally evocative power of color, movement, texture, and shape, you shine as a painter whose work relates more to a state of mind, mood or feeling than a tangible object despite the figurative subject matter. Amidst a sea of art, you manage to say something very different. And this is why we are so keen to work with you".
Lisa Bentley, Projects Manager from Art Approach NY, USA
“It was really wonderful to see your new work, Neil. It is going to be a terrific show. The imagery is very strong . The quieter pieces with the more subdued palette and composition will work well with the more complex works. I look forward to seeing the other new paintings as they come along”.
Jacqueline Schultze from Walker Street Gallery in Dandenong Victoria Australia
EUROPE EXHIBITIONS AND PRIZES
- 2021 BARCELONA INTERNATIONAL ART FAIR
- 2021 X111 Florence Biennale
Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy
- 2021 Galería Añil . Mojácar SPAIN
PIAB Nominee Barcelona SPAIN
Worldwide Artist Award December
- 2020 CFA Artist of the Year Honorable Mention for 'Brave New World'
EXHIBITIONS IN FRANCE
• 2021 Restaurant de La Gare Salies de Béarn
• 2021 Auberge du Relais Bérenx
• 2020 CFA Artist of the Year Honorable Mention for 'Brave New World'
• 2020 16th August Salies de Bearn Galerie ‘Femme Fatale’
• 2020 August 2020 Auberge du Relais Bérenx
• 2020 August 2020 Restaurant de La Gare Salies de Béarn
• 2019 15th December Salies de Bearn Galerie
• 2010 ‘Apeindre’ painting prize - Salies de Bearn
• 2007 Finalist ‘Apeindre’ painting prize Salies de Bearn
EXHIBITIONS AND PRIZES IN AUSTRALIA
- 2014 28 November-Brunswick Street Gallery Exhibition ‘Tick Tock’
- 2014 31 January-13 February - Brunswick Street Gallery Exhibition 322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy 3065
- 2013 8 - 21 November - Brunswick Street Gallery ‘Paint/Purpose’ Exhibition
- 2013 17-30 May Brunswick Street Gallery Drawing 13a Exhibition
322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy 3065
- 2013 March 15th – 24th ‘The Adolescent Dreamer’ Jenny Pihan Fine Art
595A Hampton Street Hampton Vic 3188 Australia
- 2013 22nd Feb - 7th March Brunswick Street Gallery; Brunswick, Australia Painting Exhibition 'Over Painted'.
- 2012 - 25 May - 7 June Brunswick Street Gallery 12 Drawing 21A 'Indifferent Landscape'
- 2012 March -Solo Exhibition: Gallery Red 11131–145 Glebe Point Road Glebe, Sydney, NSW 2037 Australia
- 2011 October Ballarat, Australia, Solo Exhibition: 'Body Language' Red Brick Gallery 218A Skipton St, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- 2011 May 2nd – 28th _ Walker St Gallery – ‘Persistence of Vision’ Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
- 2011 Wed. 31st August - Sunday 18th September Melbourne, Australia 'The Indifferent Landscape' Carbon Black Gallery 188 High St. Prahran , Victoria, Australia.
- 2010 September – Memorial Gallery Exhibition – Bellingen, NSW, Australia
- 2010 July 2nd – 13th _ Brunswick Street Gallery – ‘Painting 10A Exhibition’ – Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
- 2010 May 7th – 20th _ Brunswick Street Gallery ‘Works on Paper’ prize finalist
- 2010 February 10th – March 31st Drum Theatre – ‘Figuratively Speaking’- Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
- 2009 September 1st -26th _ Walker St Gallery ‘Synthesis’ – Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
- 2009 Short listed in ‘Whyalla Art Prize’ – Whyalla, Victoria, Australia
- 2009 April 9th – 28th _ Kingston Arts Centre Gallery ‘Do You See What I See’ – Kingston, Victoria, Australia
- 2009 November 8th – February 9th _ Latrobe Regional Gallery ‘Singular Perspectives’ – Morwell, Victoria, Australia
- 2009 February - Brunswick Street Gallery – Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
- 2008 The Covent Gallery – Daylesford, Victoria, Australia
- 2008 December - Walker St Gallery's ‘9 x 5’ Competition – Dandenong, Vic., Aust.
- 2008 Winner ‘He Who Explores’ prize Walker Street Gallery – Dandenong, Vic., Aust.
- 2008 September 1st – 25th _ Walker St Gallery's ‘He Who Explores’- Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
- 2007 Participated in ‘Archibald Prize’ and ‘Sulman Prize’ – Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2013 Artists Haven Gallery 2757 East Oakland Park Blvd, Ft Lauderdale,
Florida 33306 USA
- 2011 March 15th – April 1st – The Broadway Gallery – ‘Artists at Home and Abroad Exhibition’ New York, NY, USA
- 2011 April 16th – June 4th – The Southern Nevada Museum of Fine Arts - ‘International Contemporary Masters Exhibition’ Las Vegas, NV, USA
- 2010 May & July – Artist Alley Gallery Exhibition – San Francisco, California, USA
- 19 www.beyondtheopening.com
- 11 Ballart Courier
- 11 Stonnington Leader Sept
- 11 Greater Dandenong Weekly 16 May
- 11 Dandenong, Leader newspaper
- 11 Featured Artists Volume 111 book
- 11 www.The Southern Nevada Museum of Fine Arts Las Vegas, NV USA
- 11 International Dictionary of Artists Volume 1 book
- 11 International Contempory Masters 1V book
- 10 May and June Artist Alley Gallery San Francisco - USA
- 10 Feb. Drum Theatre Dandenong, The Journal Feb.
- 10 Feb. Drum Theatre Dandenong, The Journal, Mar.
- 10 Feb. Drum Theatre Press Release,
- Online - Walker St/Drum Theatre Newsletter
- 09 Sept. Dandenong, The Journal,
- 09 Sept. Dandenong, Star newspaper,
- 09 April, Kingston Press Release
- 09 April, Chelsea Independant newspaper,
- 09 Moorabbin Glen Eira Leader Newspaper,
- 09 Kingston Your City newspaper
- 09 Kingston Art Scape Magazine,
- 09 Art Almanac full page advertisement,
- 08 Nov. Latrobe Regional Gallery Catalogue
- Fine Arts at Prahran Institute of Technology 1976
- Caulfield Institute of Technology ‘Fine Arts’ degree 1980